- Operations Director: Madelynne Cornish
- Artistic Director: Philip Samartzis
- Design + Development: Public Office
- PO Box 456, Mount Beauty, 3699,
- EMAIL / FB / TW / IN
The Bogong Centre for Sound Culture is a remote-regional cultural initiative situated in the foothills of Victoria’s Alpine National Park. Established by Philip Samartzis and Madelynne Cornish the B-CSC supports projects focusing on the processes and impacts of sustainable energy production; effects of climate change in wilderness areas; ethnographic studies of remote communities; the chronicling of vanishing industrial procedures; and systems of representation used to render natural and built environments.
Additionally, the B-CSC facilitates a broad cultural program comprising, festivals, exhibitions, publications, master classes and artists’ talks focusing on site-specific art practices. These programs establish a connection with place, its inhabitants, geographic space and memory. They engage a wide range of audiences, bringing together local, interstate and international artists across multiple disciplines and fields to realise ambitious works.
The B-CSC is situated at the newly restored old school at Bogong Alpine Village located 350 kilometres from Melbourne in North East Victoria.
Acknowledgment of Country
The B-CSC acknowledge the Dhudhuroa, Gunai, Taungurung, Waywurru and Yaitmathang peoples as the First Nations and Traditional Owners of the land upon which the Bogong Centre for Sound Culture is located. We pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and future for they hold the knowledge and traditions of the land and waterways upon which we depend.
About Bogong Village
Bogong Alpine Village is 325 kilometres North-East of Melbourne situated at an altitude of 800 meters in the Alpine National Park between Mount Beauty and Falls Creek. The village was established in the late 1930s to service the first hydroelectric scheme in mainland Australia. More recently it has become a popular site for alpine sports, recreation and ecotourism. Click here for directions.
A Short History
Work on the Kiewa Scheme commenced in 1938 with the construction of a road from Tawonga to the High Plains. Previously the only access was by foot or horseback along tracks that had been forged by cattlemen of a bygone era. Bogong Village was established once the road from Junction Camp was trafficable (March 1939); this paved the way for the construction of permanent buildings. Prior to that life was tough; large canvas tents and flies were used for sleeping quarters and smaller tents were set up to house the kitchens. By 1940 Bogong Township had grown considerably with a general store, staff offices, recreational mess, police station, and a variety of accommodation such as single men’s quarters and residences for married staff and families.
Bogong State School
In 1941 the Primary School at Bogong Village enrolled its first intake of students comprising nine pupils. Initially the school consisted of a large classroom, storeroom and boys and girls toilets. Extensions were carried out in 1944, which expanded the capabilities of the school. A library, storeroom, pupil’s lunchroom and shelter shed were added and rock gardens were established. By 1947 the number of students had grown to 46 all of whom were children of local SEC workers. Over the years class sizes fluctuated and the building remained unchanged. In 1980 it ceased to operate as a school and sat idle, eventually falling into disrepair. In 2004 it was sold along with many other buildings in the village.
Madelynne Cornish and Philip Samartzis bought the Old School and set about restoring it to its former glory. The rotting weatherboards and floorboards, smashed windows and flaking paint are now a distant memory. The newly refurbished building occupies it’s original footprint and bares a strong resemblance to it’s former self. Although the internals have been modernized remnants of it’s past history remain. The Old School once played a significant role in the fabric of village life. It inspired the community and helped shape the minds of those who studied there. It is our intention as custodians that the School once again functions as a place of inspiration.
- Reference: Kiewa Kids School Days at Bogong & Mount Beauty by Graham Gardner
- ISBN 0-646-36226-7. Published 1998
Unheard Spaces comprises recordings of Venice made over a three-week period in February 2000. The recordings focus on the way sound permeates the city and its attendant canals and lagoon to register an elaborate set of signifiers. As one of the most recognisable places in the world, and subject of countless artistic works, I am interested to know whether it is possible to portray Venice in new ways by emphasising specific aural cues expressed by spatial and material interactions and social dynamics. These interactions are sited within complex resonant and reverberant profiles which demonstrate how perversely mutable the acoustic environment can be. The pervasive presence of water inevitably shapes the encounter and navigation of this serpentine city and is integral to the unique acoustic ecology that operates there. Many of the sounds featured in Unheard Spaces are recorded under water using a hydrophone to afford new and unusal perspectives. Inspired by Death in Venice (1971) by Luchino Visconti, Don't Look Now (1973) by Nicholas Roeg and The Comfort of Strangers (1990) by Paul Schrader, Unheard Spaces uses narrative to transport listeners through a series of spectral encounters resounding across narrow streets, and modulated by lugubrious piazzas and fetid canals that constitute this decomposing place.
Assistant sound recordist: Madelynne Cornish
This project is supported by the Australia Council for the Arts, Bogong Centre for Sound Culture, and the Department of Room Acoustics at IRCAM
Unheard Spaces was originally arranged and mixed in eight-channel surround sound at the Department of Room Acoustics at IRCAM for the La Costruzione del Suono Festival staged in Mestre, Italy in 2004. This stereo version is derived from the original eight-channel surround mix. Unheard Spaces is dedicated to the Venetian expatriates living in Mestre displaced by economic circumstances.