The Bogong Centre for Sound Culture is situated at the newly restored old school at Bogong Alpine Village in North East Victoria. The BCSC was established by Philip Samartzis and Madelynne Cornish and supports cultural initiatives investigating the history and ecology of the Australian Alps including festivals, commissioned artworks, artist in residence program, and masterclasses. The BCSC strives to foster connections between artists and the local communities by facilitating projects that establish interaction with the place, its inhabitants, geographic space and memory. Located 325 kilometres North-East of Melbourne, the BCSC is situated at an altitude of 800 meters in the Alpine National Park.
Director: Madelynne Cornish
Artistic Director: Philip Samartzis
Web Designer: Patrick Campbell
Bogong Alpine Village is 325 kilometres North-East of Melbourne situated at an altitude of 800 meters in the Alpine National Park between Mount Beauty and Falls Creek. The village was established in the late 1930s to service the first hydroelectric scheme in mainland Australia. More recently it has become a popular site for alpine sports, recreation and ecotourism.
Work on the Kiewa Scheme commenced in 1938 with the construction of a road from Tawonga to the High Plains. Previously the only access was by foot or horseback along tracks that had been forged by cattlemen of a bygone era. Bogong Village was established once the road from Junction Camp was trafficable (March 1939); this paved the way for the construction of permanent buildings. Prior to that life was tough; large canvas tents and flies were used for sleeping quarters and smaller tents were set up to house the kitchens. By 1940 Bogong Township had grown considerably with a general store, staff offices, recreational mess, police station, and a variety of accommodation such as single men’s quarters and residences for married staff and families.
Bogong State School
In 1941 the Primary School at Bogong Village enrolled its first intake of students comprising nine pupils. Initially the school consisted of a large classroom, storeroom and boys and girls toilets. Extensions were carried out in 1944, which expanded the capabilities of the school. A library, storeroom, pupil’s lunchroom and shelter shed were added and rock gardens were established. By 1947 the number of students had grown to 46 all of whom were children of local SEC workers. Over the years class sizes fluctuated and the building remained unchanged. In 1980 it ceased to operate as a school and sat idle, eventually falling into disrepair. In 2004 it was sold along with many other buildings in the village.
Madelynne Cornish and Philip Samartzis bought the Old School and set about restoring it to its former glory. The rotting weatherboards and floorboards, smashed windows and flaking paint are now a distant memory. The newly refurbished building occupies it’s original footprint and bares a strong resemblance to it’s former self. Although the internals have been modernized remnants of it’s past history remain. The Old School once played a significant role in the fabric of village life. It inspired the community and helped shape the minds of those who studied there. It is our intention as custodians that the School once again functions as a place of inspiration.
Reference: Kiewa Kids School Days at Bogong & Mount Beauty by Graham Gardner
ISBN 0-646-36226-7. Published 1998
Bogong Village is located on Bogong High Plains road between Mount Beauty and Falls Creek in North East Victoria.
The village offers a number of accommodation options ranging from self contained cottages to shared accommodation.
To discuss the range of options call or email the manager at Bogong Village on
03 5754 1131 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote BCSC14 for special rates